Monday, June 27, 2005

Oracle Adding Semantic Tech

I've been told that the feedback to Oracle about NDM went along the lines of "yeah that's awesome, but when are you going to support the standards?". I haven't been able to find references to this news yet, but here it is anyway: 10g.2 will include an RDF layer built on NDM -- I'm hoping this means we'll have a bulletproof and vendor-supported metastore + inference engine for building semantic web applications of the future. According to my source, Oracle will make a big marketing splash about this when 10g.2 is formally announced. Soon.

The Oracle Spatial Network Data Model (NDM) feature enables graph modeling and analysis in Oracle Database 10g. NDM explicitly stores and maintains connectivity (nodes, links, and paths) within networks and provides network analysis capability such as shortest path and connectivity analyses. NDM includes a PL/SQL API Package for Network Data Query and management, and a Java API for network creation, representation, editing and analysis.

Actually, I did find a reference to Oracle's RDF Data Model in 10g here. I'm going to try to get my hands on a copy of 10g soon and see what is provided.

Updated: It's amazing what you can find when you use the right search terms.